How you can set up your router depends on the one hand on the Internet provider, on the other hand from the device. With a little luck you can set up the router automatically. Nevertheless, for safety’s sake you should change some settings immediately.
A router setup is about as easy or hard as setting up a cell phone. In many cases, the customer gets the router from his provider and can use a feature to automatically set up the router. But if this is not the case or you have bought the router yourself, all necessary data must be entered by the user himself. The procedure is similar for all routers, since they have to work with every Internet access. If you want to set up your router, you should definitely have the manual of the router and the access data that you got from the provider.
The company Netgear is known in the market of SOHO network solutions (home – small office). For most users, today there is enough “100 megabit”, and the company offers solutions “without superfluous options”, having a level of quality and reliability, no worse than in the premium class. The model considered in this review supports “fast” Wi-Fi “802.11 n”, and can be recommended for experienced and novice administrators: the configuration of the Netgear router, with the updated web-interface, will not be difficult
The following steps will guide you through the setup process for your Netgear router:
- Turn off the computer and the cable modem. Also remove the backup battery, if any.
- Remove any cables that connect the modem to the computer.
- Connect the modem to the entry point of the cable network.
- Connect the yellow Ethernet cable of the router’s Internet port to the Ethernet port on the modem.
- Connect the Ethernet cable of the computer LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the router. The router does not need to be close to the computer, proper wiring must be guaranteed, magnetic fields or other wireless equipment should not be nearby.
- Plug the modem and router power adapters into a surge protected power supply such as UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), a continuous power supply even in the event of power surges AND failures.)
- Turn on the modem and replace the backup battery, if installed.
- Wait 1-2 minutes for the modem to go through its activation cycle.
- When the modems LEDs are on, connect to your ISP, then turn on the router.
- The router LEDs should light up and remain steady once the router has successfully booted.
- 11. Now turn on the computer. Once started, the router LAN port connected to the computer should light up.
Simple steps to set up Netgear Router settings
- Insert the Netgear Router Setup CD (www.routerlogin.net)and start Smart Wizard.
- The Auto-Launches screen appears.
- Click Router Setup.
- Wait for Smart Wizard to start.
- Click “Next”
- Smart Wizard will detect the type of your network connection, in this case the cable Internet.
- Enter your login name and password provided by your ISP. Click on “Next”
8. Wait for the completion of Internet Setup, this process may take a few minutes.
9. The router is now successfully connected to the Internet and set up correctly, your Netgear router is thus ready for use!
If you are unsure about how to set up your Netgear router or have any further questions about routers and LAN network setup, we can help you with Netgear router installation.
Set up WLAN in the router
WLAN routers come almost always with already activated WLAN to you. If the WLAN LED is not lit, the WLAN can usually be activated with a switch on the router. You can then set up your router without having to use a computer. Simply search for the Wi-Fi ID on the device with your phone or tablet. Often he is composed of the router name. For the WLAN access you will then be asked for the WLAN password, which is usually also on the device.
With this you have experienced two problems of such standard installations yourself: In a densely populated area no one recognizes his own router ID and anyone with access to the router can make a note of the password. Moreover, no one can remember these factory passwords!
How to set up the WLAN in the router:
- Searches the Router menu for a menu item with names such as “Network Setting” or “Wi-Fi Default” and then the name and password.
- Changes the Wi-Fi name (the SSID) and access password so that you can easily identify it or easily remember it yourself.
- Saves the changes.
- Now search for the new Wi-Fi name with all Wi-Fi-enabled devices such as cell phones, tablets, Smart TVs, connect and enter the new password.
- With this you have made your WLAN easier to find and at the same time safer. If this is not set anyway, you should also set the highest security level in the section “Encryption Type”. Do not operate your WLAN unencrypted!
To configure the router, we need to ensure that the following conditions are met:
The router must be connected to the electrical network using the power adapter. (To do this, plug the power adapter into the “power” router connector, and then connect it to the electrical outlet).The IP address of the network card of your computer must be on the same subnet as the internal IP address of the router. You can try to connect to the router as described in the next paragraph (2. Connecting to the router ), and if you can see the authentication window, then you can consider these conditions fulfilled, and in case of failure, go back here and recheck the settings of the network card, and also perform a full reset of the router. Before configuring, especially if the router was previously configured, we recommend performing a full reset of the router.
The complete reset of the router is as follows:
- It is necessary to hold the button in the RESET hole for about 10 seconds from the rear.
- In case the router is absolutely new and you make the first activation, then this step can be skipped. However, in case of failure when connecting to the router, or an unsuccessful setup, if everything else has been done correctly, we recommend that you do a full reset of the router to the factory settings.
- You can confidently proceed to the next step if the network card of your computer is configured to automatically obtain an IP address and other network settings.
- Usually, automatic obtaining of an IP address is set in the default network card settings, but if these settings were changed earlier, and if there are any problems with connecting to the router in the next step, we strongly recommend checking the settings of your network card and setting automatic obtaining of IP address.
Connecting the Netgear Router
- To connect to the router we use one of the available browsers on your operating system. (For example: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer).
- To do this, open the browser and in the address bar write the address of the router 192.168.1.1
- This is the default router address. It will be the same if it has not been manually changed before, or a full factory reset has been made.
- If you have a window with a request for a user name and password from Netgear, then you were able to connect to the router!
- With a very high probability, you did everything right and you will not have to go back to the previous point.
If there are problems at this stage, then you need to return to the previous point and make sure that everything is done right. The computer is connected to the correct port of the router, the network card of the computer is configured to automatically obtain the IP address, the router is connected to the power grid using the power adapter, and the router was completely reset to the factory settings.
- Now you need to enter your username and password
- The default username is “admin”, the password is “password”.
- Written “admin” and “password” in small letters, without the quotes.
If during authentication you have an error that the password or user name is not correct and you are sure that you entered the credentials correctly (make sure the keyboard layout is correct and the Caps Lock is not pressed), then in this case you need make a full reset of the router to the factory settings, the method described in the previous paragraph. And try to enter the credentials again. A complete reset, among other things, sets the password and the default user name. If the reset of the router is done correctly, then you should get an authentication. All the rest from the previous point, after you saw the credential request does not affect the success of the authorization.